Friday, April 8, 2011

Rob Bell Exposed

Love Wins, Christianity Loses, and God Lies – A Review of Rob Bell’s Book by Jason Berggren

I just finished reading this blog by Jason Berggren.  I encourage you to click on the link and read it for yourself.  It is loving, wise and truthful.  I find the whole Rob Bell topic very fascinating.  Most likely because his latest book confirmed what I had already supposed about the man.  I have to confess that my opinion is based only on ONE video that I watched by him.  I have never read any of his books nor listened to any of his sermons even though his name has popped up over and over by various Christians in my life.  All of them had positive things to say about the man.

I am a street evangelist in Berlin, Germany.  This is a calling that the Lord led me into.  When I first arrived in Berlin three years ago, I had no idea that I would be doing street evangelism.  I rarely preach on a box anymore (I used to).  I mainly work with teams who do street dramas and then we engage in one on one conversations with people who show an interest.  But I loved preaching on a box and I have nothing whatsoever against this method.

Three years ago when I was shown Rob Bells Bullhorn Guy video I was deeply offended.  I have to admit, I wrote Bell off from that time on.  So, the bullhorn guy did it all wrong.  Isn't his wrong EFFORT still better than no effort at all?  At least the bullhorn guy is out there trying and not sitting home watching TV like millions of other Christians.  My gut told me that Bell's biggest problem with the bullhorn guy was embarrassment.  Bell struck me as a guy with a longing to be "cool".  There is a "cool" Christianity culture in the United States.  There is also a false lie that Christianity should be attractive, warm and fuzzy.  

Christianity is bloody.  Christianity divides families.  The way is narrow and few are those who find it.  Before Jesus was put to death he was almost stoned many times.  He told us, "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."  Matthew 10:22

Bell is so worried about Christians showing "love" to the world but what about his love for other Christians such as the bullhorn guy?  Why isn't Rob Bell criticizing Christians who never say ANYTHING about their faith?  Isn't that far worse?

In Berlin, it is the same.  Other Christians here criticize us and tell us that street evangelism doesn't work and only friendship evangelism is the way.  I am personally not  a fan of friendship evangelism but I have learned that God is not limited to ANY way of evangelism.  I have learned to be glad for any method of  sharing the truth of Jesus Christ.  

Why are Christians criticizing one another?  "They will know we are Christians by our love.." is a song we used to sing during the Jesus movement of the 70's.  What ever happened to this sentiment?

Examining someones views who claim to be speaking for Christ is not wrong.  Love gets all mixed up in peoples minds.  They think that if we love, we will never examine nor expose false teaching.  I will probably be told that I am not loving Rob Bell.  To truly love anyone is to have a desire that they walk in truth.  To tell people that they will go to hell unless their sins are removed by Jesus Christ is the most loving thing I can do for them. 

I read that Bell is in pain and that this has been one of the most uncomfortable things he has gone through - the controversy from his latest book.  Is this the little boy in him who wants to be liked by everyone?  Lets pray for Bell that he repents of his arrogance and learns that by dying we live.

1 comment: