Thursday, August 21, 2014

'Call Me Dad'



Over time and without realizing it, I began to view God in a distorted fashion. I think it intensified after reading the account of Moses where, to my mind, God seemed utterly powerful and somewhat distant to man. I started envisioning him as a sort of Wizard of Oz with fire, anger and bellowing. I saw him as a bright force but not as a person.

The other day, while on my morning walk, I said, “Good morning, God” - envisioning Him as a huge furnace of fire; then, “Good morning Jesus” - seeing Him with all his love and laughter; and lastly, “Good morning Holy Spirit” - seeing Him as my guide and counselor.

Suddenly and unmistakably God said to me, “Call me Dad.”
I almost froze in my steps. He said, “From now on, don't call me 'God', call me 'Dad'. I am your loving Daddy.”

Tears filled my eyes when I realized how wrong I had been viewing my wonderful Dad. I was overwhelmed at the feelings of love that were vibrating all around me that I almost could not breathe. I realized, in a matter of seconds that I had still been looking to my earthly dad to meet my needs and take care of me (even though he is no longer able to do so) and that the picture of my heavenly Dad had been wrong.

In the last couple of years it seems like it has become popular for Christians to call God 'Daddy' or 'Papa'. I too joined in the chorus but it never felt right and always seemed a little fake to me. I have had times of inner-healing in my life where the Lord revealed his Father-hood to me and healed inner wounds but when He said, “Call me Dad” something inside permanently shifted. I realized that 'Dad” is the word I used to call my earthly father and that the Lord was saying clearly to me, “I want you to view me as your Dad, your own true Dad”.

After that morning we had a time of worship in Christiania and during worship He revealed himself to me in a vivid picture in my mind's eye. He was not a huge furnace of fire but He was a man who was laughing, stomping and dancing. I saw him in a place like a jungle and there was a lion next to him. He was roaring and laughing over our praise. I then saw some zebras and other wild animals next to Him but His strength and superiority over them was unmistakable. He was so strong and mighty but much more real and personal than a furnace of fire. I knew that He wanted to show me who He was and destroy the crazy image I had built up in my mind. Once again, I was overwhelmed and tears came to my eyes.

Now I not only see Jesus as Savior, my beautiful one, my joy and delight; nor do I only see the Holy Spirit as my guide, counselor, friend and comforter but now I have a correct 3-fold picture of the three-in-One. Mighty, everlasting 'God' is my Dad. He is a Dad who is strong and can stand among wild animals and roar; a Dad whose laughter shakes the earth; a Dad who loves his daughter and wants to care for her every need; and a dad who gives her gifts and surprises. He is a person with incredibly strong arms who longs to take care of me.




I don't know why it took so long for me to get this revelation of God. Perhaps it is because I am so aware of my earthly dad's frailty and that his time on earth is short. Perhaps it took years and years to see correct manifestations of Jesus and the Holy Spirit that I was finally ready for a more accurate image of the Father. I don't know all the reason's but I am so thankful that the God of all the universe saw me, spoke to me and revealed His great love for me. Now when I sing songs that have the word 'God' in them, I can't sing them that way. I have to replace 'God' with 'Dad' and I think everyone should do that, using the name of Father that is most comfortable. It helped to change everything for me. With every passing year, He wants us to know and love Him deeper.   

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kim, Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts. Tears stream down my face as I try to capture all you are saying. It makes me weep to think of God as Dad because my own father is in late stages of Alzheimer's. I struggle with losing him, especially because there is so much I feel I missed out on, not having him as involved with my growing up years as I'd wished, and then through my years of parenting myself. Pieces of the puzzle have always seemed missing and my heart has always had an ache and a yearning for all I wished our relationship to be. Don't get me wrong, we talk and share and love each other, but I've always wanted to share more of life. And now his life slips through my fingers slowly. So grateful for a new perspective of God as Dad. He is constant, never changing and will never be taken away from me including from a sickness or disease. He will never leave my side and that my friend is a very comforting thought. I love your writing, it is such a blessing! Keep blogging Kim! I love you! Pennie

    ReplyDelete