Monday, January 12, 2015

Regret


If you aren't in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty or back to pain and regret.
Jim Carrey

Regret is not a proactive feeling. It is situated in disappointment, sorrow, even remorse. It merely wishes things were different without an act to cause a difference. However, repentance is different. Repentance is an admission of, hatred of, and turning away from sin before God.

Sometimes regret comes tumbling down over my head, completely unbidden.  It tortures me.  I did and said such stupid things as a parent or I just did nothing when I should have done so much more.  Was I wrong to sell my home and give everything away?  Did I ever have any wisdom?  Those kinds of things can haunt me and so much more.
Today I was sitting on a beach in Spain, reading my bible, talking to Jesus and it hit me......Yahweh has NO REGRETS!  (Except for maybe that he created us??  Genesis 6:6).  He was grieved and hurt that man did not enjoy or love Him but now that He has a BRIDE  He can call His own, I know that His only regret is sadness for the people who do not want Him.  Yahweh relates to every emotion that we have, so it just hit me that He can even relate to my feelings of regret.  But beyond, that initial pain, I do not believe that Yahweh has regret because He is perfect.  He makes perfect decisions and as His every motive is rooted in LOVE, He has no regret.

I realized, that if Kim is dead and her life is hidden in Jesus, then she lives through Yahweh and she too can walk victoriously, without regret.  Philippians 3:8-14 comes to mind.  "Yes, everything is worthless (ALL MY REGRETS) when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For his sake, I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him". (vs.8) -  "I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.  I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead." (vs.10) 

I don't want to think about ME, my junk, my past, I just want to focus on JESUS, right here, right now and commune with him, even if it be in suffering.

"I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things, (for sure NO!) or that I have already reached perfection.  But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.  No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing:  FORGETTING THE PAST AND LOOKING FORWARD TO WHAT LIES AHEAD, (that's the key!) I PRESS ON TO REACH THE END OF THE RACE AND RECEIVE THE HEAVENLY PRIZE FOR WHICH GOD, THROUGH JESUS IS CALLING US. (vs.12-14).

My life....DEAD.....hidden in Jesus....looking forward.  I'm so glad that He can handle all my mistakes and failures.  I'm so glad he can take a rotten lump of clay and mold it into something beautiful.  I'm so thankful that He personifies patience towards me.
Looking ahead, looking to HIM.

“Never look back unless you are planning to go that way.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

“We all do things we desperately wish we could undo. Those regrets just become part of who we are, along with everything else. To spend time trying to change that, well, it's like chasing clouds.” 
― Libba Bray

No comments:

Post a Comment